About The School
The school has several students in their late teens and early 20s who are attending school for the first time, as many of them were put to work on the land by their families. They are now taking full advantage of the opportunities an education can offer and are very excited about their future.
This school is located in a remote area in the district of Bore, a bumpy car journey of 1 1/2 hrs from the coastal resort of Malindi. Our Trustee, Ru Hartwell has worked with this community for almost a decade and says, it’s really easy to spot the rich kids – they’re the ones with flip flops.
What We’ve Done So Far
When we got involved with Kundeni Primary School, they only had one safe classroom to study in, that had been built from another fundraising campaign spearheaded by Ru. Over the past few years, we’ve built two additional classrooms at a cost of around £7,000 each. This also benefited the local community, as the employment to construct it was shared amongst them; even the children got involved with things like water carrying, some simple carpentry and stone cutting.
Studying in a cool and dedicated learning environment has made an incredibly positive difference to the children and their teachers:
- students are getting better grades
- their levels of concentration have improved dramatically
- teachers have less throat problems because they don’t have to shout to deliver lessons in the open air
- more children have signed up to study at Kundeni Primary School
The successes we measured at Kundeni Primary School and in the local community were so great, they sparked the birth of the Word Forest Organisation.
What We Can Do With Your Help
Life in a rural Kenyan school is challenging for students. They only get exercise books to write in during their final years and many sleep on the premises under the stars, as it’s too far to commute back and forth each day.
With your help, we’ll ensure the children will benefit from:
- exercise and text books
- pens, pencils and paper
- a library of books in Swahili and English
- educational wall charts and other visual aids for learning
- some basic sports equipment so they can enjoy playing games
- bedrolls to make sleeping more comfortable and to protect their clothing
Over the past three years, our legacy projects have helped hundreds of people from small communities in the Coast Province of Kenya…
Be part of our Tree Hero gallery and let’s whoop up some global excitement to get more trees in the ground…